Thursday, November 13, 2008

twists n turns of my life

this post is coming just out of the blue....may be just out of sheer frustation....can be followed up by more related or unrelated topics.......


when i decided to give premedical entrance tests i think it was more of a predestined venture rather than a well thought out .....one that is taken with future prospects in mind....quite obvious when both my parents are doctors......i mean ofcourse taking biology in 11th class was the foundation stone of my career laid down atleast 10 years in advance!!

so schooling was finished together with coaching for entrances which had become the norm rather than an exception .....so as it happened to many other average persons like me i did not get selected....it was like a blow to me cause it hadnt seemed so tough ....i had always thought "ofcourse i would get somewhere"......the biggest set back was not getting through delhi pmt.....it crushed me....literally....n i left all hope of ever getting selected .......now that i look bak it was a stupid decision....i could have got selected for manipal (later ofcourse i found out that i had got a respectable rank n with a little more push a seat would have been in reach)......alas that never happened ofcourse....
my next big mistake was not dropping a year....i should have.....it was a worth a try.....but at that time losing out on a year was not an option at all....i totally put my foot down that i wont study at all...not another year....no more frustation i had said.......

so the search for medical colleges with paid seats started.........
we zeroed down on a college in aurangabad......everything had been finalised, even the tickets had been bought.....i was even packing stuff.......but an emotional tide took over my entire family and as swiftly had the decison been made it was undone in a matter of minutes....the main issue that had cropped up was why send a teenaged girl so many kilometers away........(i can almost cry n laugh together at this thought today!!)

so again many rounds of discussions with family friends, colleagues, etc started..suggestions varied .......they included buying a flat in my name n setting up to rent so that there is atleast a fixed income.......(would have been wise now that i look back!!), getting me admitted into bds (cheaper n a shorter duartion course!!......another wise decision which i kicked out of the window almost immediately...by saying "huh.....daanton ke doctor bhi koi doctor hote hain??!!") n so on n so forth
then the idea shifted to bio technology.....i filled in forms, gave the test n interview n got selected but guess wot?the idea of his daughter getting a b.sc. degree was just too much for my dad......so after a huge showdown i bid goodbye to that idea.......

meanwhile a family friend who is also a doctor n had a son of my age(chunki) n another doctor couple who had a daughter(cheena) interested in getting into medical got hold of an advertisement for a medical college in mauritius....everything about it seemed good....fee structure was reasonable, course followed was similar to that in india, cultural background of the place was similar.........but there was a slight problem....i was a couple of months younger than the minimum required age.....nevertheless we applied n guess wot as usual i got through......my dad finalised evrything......n so me, cheena n chunki were to set out a month later for mauritius....imagine my shock when i saw the atlas n realised that mauritius was on the other side of the equator!!and that the closest place was madagascar..but somehow it seems we had overcome the fear of distance....mauritius afterall was farther than aurangbad you see.......

with my dad gone it was more of time with me n mom.....those were turbulant times....u know a teenaged girl n my mom trying to reign me in .....n so there were daily arguments n one such lead to me passing a statement in which i said that she better be happy coz i ws going to b a doc because of her, n short fused that my mom is like me, also fired back that i wasnt becoming one for her ......."ehsaan nahin kar rahi ho mmujh par!!" ......was one such statement..... n so i also said fine......cancelled the ticket
n so mauritius was closed chapter (or so i had tought)


next came up engineering courses...(i had a good rank in a cet for engg but i didnt go for counselling cause at that time my mom had rubbished the idea of me being an engg "jis gali jaana nahin wahan ka pata he kyon poochna she had said.....")
anyhow a nearby college with a reputed name had selectd me n i joined it on the stipulated date.....i thought my life was settled now.....i had school friends going to the same college....was nearby n to top it all my dad was happy that his daughter was atleast getting into a professional course

but ofcourse fate had something else in store.... a personal tiff n a big argument with my mom led me to decide that it was impossible to live with my mom anymore....so in a fit of rage i told her....m going to mauritius n so again packed my bags, got another ticket .......n left for mauritius on the night of 7th november 2001 ................(to be contd.....)

No comments: